Burglary Crime Prevention
I am writing to request you do a security check of your homes, sheds and outbuildings now that summer has come to an end and the nights are drawing in.
Tips to prevent Burglary:
- Check all downstairs windows and doors are locked and secure before you leave or go to bed. If you are going out, lock upstairs windows too (if you remove keys, ensure you have a fire escape plan.)
- Don’t leave car keys, mobile phones, wallets or other valuables on window sills, in hallways or in any other visible place.
- Double-lock UPVC doors by lifting the handle and locking it to engage the security features.
- Use timer switches on lamps to give the impression someone is at home. Ensure your driveway/pathway is well lit overnight – we advise using low level LED ‘Dusk to Dawn’ lighting rather than sensor lighting as false activations from animals/trees mean people become passive and don’t react.
- Secure your rear garden: lock rear gates, securely lock sheds and garages and keep tools and ladders locked away as they could be used to break into your home. Cover items up such as lawnmowers and high value items so that they cannot be easily seen from outside.
- Consider a sensor activated doorbell camera if this would cover your driveway area. These systems can alert you to your smartphone if there is any movement. For example – a ‘Secured by Design’ Ring doorbell. Hertfordshire residents can currently received a discount on selected Ring products by visiting.
Don’t make it easy for criminals. Please be vigilant and do report any suspicious activity or behaviour in the area via 101.
Further crime prevention advice can be found on our website:
Police Community Support Officer