Chorleywood Lawn Cemetery
Chorleywood Lawn Cemetery is a peaceful and tranquil cemetery situated just off the A404 Rickmansworth Road on Lady Ella Drive surrounded by open land and countryside on three sides. Inaugurated shortly after World War II by Chorleywood Urban District Council, it has been tended with care ever since and is possibly one of the most beautiful last resting places in Hertfordshire. The Bishop of St Albans consecrated an attractive extension in 1996 which virtually doubled the size of the original area.
The Cemetery, by it’s name, is laid to lawn with formal flower beds, ornamental hedges and trees. Bronze memorial plaques are laid into the grass keeping an open vista across the site. Many seats have been donated allowing visitors to enjoy this peaceful green oasis far from the noisy world outside.
Interments can take place between:
- Full burials: Tuesday to Friday 11.30am to 1pm
- Ashes: Monday to Friday 10.00am to 1pm
Please note interments can not take place on public holidays.
The Cemetery has burial and ashes plots available in both consecrated and unconsecrated ground. It is divided into Sections A – G as shown below:
- Sections A and B: Now full – only used when re-opening plots
- Section C: Unconsecrated ground – both ashes and burial plots available
- Section D: Consecrated ground – only ashes plots now available
- Section E: Consecrated ground – Full burial plots and infants’ section – no ashes plots currently available in this section.
- Sections F & G: Maintained and kept for long term future use
Interments can be arranged by contacting the Lawn Cemetery Administrator at the Parish Office either through a local undertakers or directly if an undertaker will not be involved in the interment.
In order to keep the open aspect of the cemetery two green vases per grave are permitted. These vases are available free of charge in the Cemetery. Alternatively, pot holders for potted plants are available from the Parish Office for a small charge and can be used in place of one of the vases. Each pot holder is stamped with a number and details of the purchaser will be kept at the Parish Office. Once purchased from the Parish Office, the pot holder will remain the property and the responsibility of the purchaser. Plants will be removed by the Cemetery Rangers when they have died but the pot holder will be left in place. Any pots placed on the grave not in a holder will be removed by the Cemetery Rangers.
Interment Charges (for 1st April 2023 to 31st March 2024)
Exclusive Right of Burial
Full Interment £855 (Parishioners) £2822 (Non-parishioners)
Ashes/Infant £560 (Parishioners) £1759 (Non-parishioners)
Single Depth £658 (Parishioners) £2171 (Non-parishioners)
Double Depth £804 (Parishioners) £2653 (Non-parishioners)
*For the interment of caskets an additional charge of £912 will apply.
Single Depth £392 (Parishioners) £1231 (Non-parishioners)
Double Depth £392 (Parishioners) £1231 (Non-parishioners)
Bronze Plaques (for 1 January 2023 to 31 December 2023)
(Prices include VAT at 20%)
24 x 12 £1820 – 120 characters max
12 x 12 £976 – 90 characters max
- Characters include spaces, punctuation marks, symbols etc
- The standard charges above are for text in capitals with or without a cross.
- Other options for a greater number of characters or different size text (a mixture of upper and lowercase) or motifs are available but will be subject to an additional charge.
When ordering a plaque, two plaque layouts will be produced free of charge after which there will be a charge of £12 per additional layout.
If you would like more information about the Lawn Cemetery please contact Marjorie Bremner (Lawn Cemetery Administrator) on 01923 285594 or email email@example.com